Translate

Wednesday, March 22, 2017

DAY SIXTEEN - remember how much we love Jesus

Read Verses: Revelation 2:1-7

Key Verse: “… But I have this against you: you have abandoned the love you had at first.”

Prayer helps us re-focus on our love for God.  Its a reminder that we need him every day to provide for us.  Sometimes we get busy, and the devil starts working on us getting us to doubt the reality of God in our lives.  Sometimes we slip us and we have a rough spot.  If we aren't careful we can slowly forget how awesome God is.  And slowly we get busy with doing things, important things mind you, but we put our walk with God on the back-burner and He seems to get distant.  And sometimes we aren't sure what to do to get that connection with God back.

Well, here's some good news...pray.  Prayer is designed to foster closeness with God.  While it can be difficult at times, if you stick with it, there are some awesome times with God ahead.  Prayer can help us get our love for God back to where it should be.  The Love of God is the motivating force in our lives.  We need to walk in that love constantly.  When we try to live our Christian life without God's love filling our hearts it can get quite dull.  The fear is we can become legalistic in our walk with God.  

Legalism in this sense is defined as doing all the stuff God wants us to do, but with some different motivation that His love.   Oh, I need to do this so people will not think I am bad.  Oh, I need to do this because its expected of me.  Oh I can let this person down.  See how easy it is to start doing things for the wrong reason?

The church at Ephesus outwardly appeared to be a wonderful congregation. Jesus Himself pointed out their hard work, faithful endurance, worthy walk, and doctrinal integrity. The problem was that these works were performed out of duty, rather than out of love for the Savior. Though they did not know it, the Ephesian Christians needed revival. They were running the risk of losing their light for the Lord. They got busy and getting closer to God didn't seem as important as doing ministry.  So, work work work they did, and they forgot how important it was to love God first.  

Many believers are wearing themselves out with a crazy schedule of church programming while seeing few results. In their harried lifestyle of “Christian” activities they do not spend time cultivating their love for Jesus or each other. They need a revival of the heart. They need to heed the words of Christ, “Remember then how far you have fallen; repent, and do the works you did at first” Get back to the basics...don't be burning out trying to do this and that...talk to God and say, "Lord I love you, what can I do for you."  They go up and hug a bunch of people in church and tell them how important they are to you.  Go to a bible study and just spend time enjoying fellowship in the Word.  In other words....SLOW DOWN.  Unless you have teenagers, you probably don't have to be so busy.

Is your love for Jesus the motivation for your work for Him?  Tell Jesus how much you love Him. If needed, repent for allowing your love for Him to grow cold.  A common experience for Christians is a panic search for truth stage.  God seems to get distant so we panic, and we read and read and get busy. Peace seems to have left our lives.  God hasn't left, just learn to relax, and when you have doubts, find a friend and talk.

Lord Jesus, I love  you.  Remind me of your love for me and help me get closer to you.  I love you and I want to grow in that love, help me to know how to do that.  If I have put anything ahead of you, let me know...I want  you to be my first priority.  I want to be ruled by your love, cause your love to grow in my life more and more.  Give me wisdom in knowing what I need to do get your love flowing in my church, in my ministry, in my family.  AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment