Translate

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

DAY TWENTY-TWO - Are you ready

Read Verses: Proverbs 2:1-11

Key Verse: For wisdom will enter your heart, and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul.

People toy with prayer, many times it is something they turn to as a last resort.  Duty, duty, duty, panic, duty duty.....does that sound like your prayer life.  There are some things we've covered over the last 3 weeks which can really help our prayer life.  We can liken prayer to a dysfunctional family. What happens in such a family?  There are times of joy and fun, but they are sparse.  More time is spend worrying about expectations and worry and self and getting what  you want.  We aren't equipped with the skills to get along well in life.  We plod along doing our best, we try and we try but it doesn't seem to fix the family.  Have you been there?

At some point, you get to the place where you say "I want more."   I want to be friends with my parents, I want to know my siblings.  I want forgiveness...healing...and end to the abuse, name calling, etc.  Perhaps we even run away saying I will start again somewhere else, but it seems like the same problems arise again and again.  Our walk with God seems to hop around in the same vein.  Will it ever get better?  It can!!!!

In our walk with God, the Father tries to get us to the place where we want more.  More out of life, more out of Him, more of Jesus.  That's the goal of the Father.  When the prodigal son went off, he waited for his son to want more and return.  Do you want more?  Have  you reached that place of deep hungering and thirsting that David speaks about in the psalms?  That desire for more is where it starts.  That's the moment where our desire for growth overcomes the need for whatever the world can offer.  Our WANT for Him must become greater...our WANT for everything else must become less. Are you there???

Do you want God more than anything else?  I'm not asking if you want some chicken wings.  Spiritual growth isn't like a new piece of furniture.  You must desire it, and seek it out.  You must be willing to leave it all behind if necessary.  Most people only want what God has to offer if it will benefit them and not cost them too much.  Well, count the cost.  DO YOU WANT IT?  If you are genuinely hungry and thirsting for righteousness your life will show it.  Decide.

Here is a question for you...do you go to Bible studies and make a point to go out with the Pastor in order to ask questions???  Do you eat eat eat the Word of God?
Without counsel purposes are disappointed; but in the multitude 
of counselors they are established (Proverbs 15:22)  
When I was a new Christian and really wanted answers, I practically lived at the Pastor's house.  I am sure I was annoying as all get out, but I needed answers...I craved information...I wanted to study.  It was that thirst that propelled me into a closer walk with God.  I was from a family where joy was rare, but I sensed something powerful in the Father...I wanted more.

Listen to what Proverbs 4:7 says...Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom.  Though it cost you all you have, get understanding.   Wisdom is supreme.  Supreme is a beautiful word...a supreme pizza or sundae...you know its good.  Though it cost you everything you have...get understanding.  Tonight we ask God for more.  Tonight you stop trying to protect yourself from pain and you start going all out for God.  Stop toying with prayer and your spiritual life and take your place in the Heavenlies with Jesus.  He who seeks his life will lose it, but he who loses his life for my sake, will find it.

Heavenly Father, I want more.  I am convinced that you died for me in order to adopt me into  your family...not as a servant but as a Son, an heir.  I want my spiritual life to go deeper, I want my commitment to you to mean more, I want prayer to be joyful and full of life.  I want to seek out Your truths in the Word.  I want to seek you more and put a full effort into being who you want me to be. As a deer thirst for water, my soul thirst for you.  Fill my thirst, fill me with life giving water, be bread to my soul.  Guide me into wanting more.  In Jesus name I pray AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment