Read Verses: James 5:13-18
Key Verse: Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed.
We had just moved to Mississauga into a new townhouse. I had never seen townhouses before, they all looked the same to me. So, the day we moved in, I decided I was going outside to enjoy the new neighbourhood. Forgot my house number and before long I was walking up and down the sidewalk wondering which townhouse was mine. It was probably the first time in my life I felt lost and alone and scared and helpless. No one around and I couldn't remember my house number. I wanted to go inside where it was warm, where I new people. Everything was too new. I can remember the sense of panic I had, and the felling of being alone. What a horrible feeling.
As we meditate tonight on the life of Jesus, we reflect on what it was like that night in the Garden of Gethsemane. Here was Jesus, facing one of the worst spiritual battles of his life. He goes into the garden and he asks Peter James and John to pray with him. They of course go to sleep. Jesus returns to find them sleeping, no once, but twice. "Could you not pray with me one hour?" Can you imagine how Jesus felt. Worst time of his life and his best friends go to sleep on him. Jesus must have felt alone as he prayed that night, and he didn't want to feel that way. He wanted support, he wanted his friends to pray with him one hour...and they failed.
One question I think of is this: Why did Jesus need his disciples to pray for him? If you think about it, his disciples probably weren't great prayer warriors...good sleepers though. They didn't have the faith Jesus had...nor the relationship with God. Jesus ultimately got through it, so really, did he need their prayers? I think he did. Sometimes when we are facing our deepest struggles we shouldn't be alone. A chord of three is not quickly broken. There is strength in friendship. Jesus is teaching a principle...don't go it alone, even if you probably can.
All of us have had those times when we could use people around us to pray. But somehow we fail to ask. We get through it...or so we think. What happens when the day comes when you don't get through it? Jesus said to Peter that night "Satan wants to sift you like wheat." Jesus knew Satan wanted to take his disciples out, as well as himself. There was a spiritual battle going on of the likes we may never know. Jesus knew more than anyone, we need each other at times like that. Getting help from friends is not a sign of weakness, but of strength...its what Jesus did. There may be more going on than we know...and an extra shoulder sure can make the difference. Hey, when you are going through something....get someone to pray for you....or a couple people.....it can make a huge difference in the battle.
Consider this also...when his disciples failed him, there was an angel that appeared and gave Jesus strength. AHA.....disciples failed, but God didn't. He knows exactly what you need to get through it. And if you do all the right things and your friends fail...God has your back. That night, an angel was sent by God to help Jesus in his prayer. God made up for the lack of help the disciples would have been. Every feel alone, even when friends are concerned? God has your back...trust him.
Why did God have Jesus's back. Well, there is something else that happened when Jesus asked his friends to pray for him. On the part of Jesus there was humility. He asked for help. Now, this blows me away...the Son of God asked for help from some mere mortals. I know that sounds funny, but what does it take to ask for help from people who have a very limited ability to help? It takes great humility...and God responds to great humility. When we are humble, he steps it up on our behalf. He knows exactly what we need...sometimes if we are prideful and never ask for help, he has no opportunity to send us strength.
There are all kinds of negative surrounding us...words, acts, news, people, demons, struggles, inner fear, shame...you name it. It surrounds us. Prayer is one of those things that God uses to insulate us from it, heal us from it, and give us strength to overcome it. Why not lift up to God how you feel, about some real struggles you are going through. Better yet...share that with a friend or two at church, and let them pray with you, and over you. You're being humble, opening a door to God's help...your are sharing your burdens with your brothers, and the struggle might be lighter...and you are letting others pray for you, and that blesses their heart as well. Prayer, sometimes its a team sport because maybe we can't do it all on our own...Just look at the example of Jesus.
Heavenly Father, reveal to me some true friends in my life who can pray for me, pray for healing and strength. I want to trust you more, and trust others, but its hard. I have been let down so many times. But if I need to trust others, work in me to that end. Give me strength to trust, help me to open up my heart. For its in the strength of true humility that your Spirit brings healing. Heal me Lord Jesus. You are the God who heals. AMEN
A story to reflect on:
A boy and his father were walking through the woods together. They came across a large log, blocking their path. The boy turned to his father and said, “Do you think I can lift this log, Dad?” The father replied, “If you use all your strength, absolutely you can.” The boy rolled up his sleeves, bent his knees, and got his hands under the log. He locked his arms and heaved with every ounce of strength he had. But the log wouldn’t budge. He tried over and over again until at last, exhausted and breathless, he gave up.
He looked at his dad with disappointment and frustration and said, “You told me I could lift it!” His dad smiled and said gently, “I told you you could lift it if you used all your strength. You didn’t ask me for help.”
So the boy asked his dad to help him and together, they lifted the log out of their path.
Your strength isn’t held by you alone, but also by the people who march alongside you. When you feel unequal to the task in front of you, perhaps it is simply because you aren’t using all your strength.
And your strength is held also by your God...ask for help in prayer faithfully and always.
Key Verse: Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed.
We had just moved to Mississauga into a new townhouse. I had never seen townhouses before, they all looked the same to me. So, the day we moved in, I decided I was going outside to enjoy the new neighbourhood. Forgot my house number and before long I was walking up and down the sidewalk wondering which townhouse was mine. It was probably the first time in my life I felt lost and alone and scared and helpless. No one around and I couldn't remember my house number. I wanted to go inside where it was warm, where I new people. Everything was too new. I can remember the sense of panic I had, and the felling of being alone. What a horrible feeling.
As we meditate tonight on the life of Jesus, we reflect on what it was like that night in the Garden of Gethsemane. Here was Jesus, facing one of the worst spiritual battles of his life. He goes into the garden and he asks Peter James and John to pray with him. They of course go to sleep. Jesus returns to find them sleeping, no once, but twice. "Could you not pray with me one hour?" Can you imagine how Jesus felt. Worst time of his life and his best friends go to sleep on him. Jesus must have felt alone as he prayed that night, and he didn't want to feel that way. He wanted support, he wanted his friends to pray with him one hour...and they failed.
One question I think of is this: Why did Jesus need his disciples to pray for him? If you think about it, his disciples probably weren't great prayer warriors...good sleepers though. They didn't have the faith Jesus had...nor the relationship with God. Jesus ultimately got through it, so really, did he need their prayers? I think he did. Sometimes when we are facing our deepest struggles we shouldn't be alone. A chord of three is not quickly broken. There is strength in friendship. Jesus is teaching a principle...don't go it alone, even if you probably can.
All of us have had those times when we could use people around us to pray. But somehow we fail to ask. We get through it...or so we think. What happens when the day comes when you don't get through it? Jesus said to Peter that night "Satan wants to sift you like wheat." Jesus knew Satan wanted to take his disciples out, as well as himself. There was a spiritual battle going on of the likes we may never know. Jesus knew more than anyone, we need each other at times like that. Getting help from friends is not a sign of weakness, but of strength...its what Jesus did. There may be more going on than we know...and an extra shoulder sure can make the difference. Hey, when you are going through something....get someone to pray for you....or a couple people.....it can make a huge difference in the battle.
Consider this also...when his disciples failed him, there was an angel that appeared and gave Jesus strength. AHA.....disciples failed, but God didn't. He knows exactly what you need to get through it. And if you do all the right things and your friends fail...God has your back. That night, an angel was sent by God to help Jesus in his prayer. God made up for the lack of help the disciples would have been. Every feel alone, even when friends are concerned? God has your back...trust him.
Why did God have Jesus's back. Well, there is something else that happened when Jesus asked his friends to pray for him. On the part of Jesus there was humility. He asked for help. Now, this blows me away...the Son of God asked for help from some mere mortals. I know that sounds funny, but what does it take to ask for help from people who have a very limited ability to help? It takes great humility...and God responds to great humility. When we are humble, he steps it up on our behalf. He knows exactly what we need...sometimes if we are prideful and never ask for help, he has no opportunity to send us strength.
There are all kinds of negative surrounding us...words, acts, news, people, demons, struggles, inner fear, shame...you name it. It surrounds us. Prayer is one of those things that God uses to insulate us from it, heal us from it, and give us strength to overcome it. Why not lift up to God how you feel, about some real struggles you are going through. Better yet...share that with a friend or two at church, and let them pray with you, and over you. You're being humble, opening a door to God's help...your are sharing your burdens with your brothers, and the struggle might be lighter...and you are letting others pray for you, and that blesses their heart as well. Prayer, sometimes its a team sport because maybe we can't do it all on our own...Just look at the example of Jesus.
Heavenly Father, reveal to me some true friends in my life who can pray for me, pray for healing and strength. I want to trust you more, and trust others, but its hard. I have been let down so many times. But if I need to trust others, work in me to that end. Give me strength to trust, help me to open up my heart. For its in the strength of true humility that your Spirit brings healing. Heal me Lord Jesus. You are the God who heals. AMEN
A story to reflect on:
A boy and his father were walking through the woods together. They came across a large log, blocking their path. The boy turned to his father and said, “Do you think I can lift this log, Dad?” The father replied, “If you use all your strength, absolutely you can.” The boy rolled up his sleeves, bent his knees, and got his hands under the log. He locked his arms and heaved with every ounce of strength he had. But the log wouldn’t budge. He tried over and over again until at last, exhausted and breathless, he gave up.
He looked at his dad with disappointment and frustration and said, “You told me I could lift it!” His dad smiled and said gently, “I told you you could lift it if you used all your strength. You didn’t ask me for help.”
So the boy asked his dad to help him and together, they lifted the log out of their path.
Your strength isn’t held by you alone, but also by the people who march alongside you. When you feel unequal to the task in front of you, perhaps it is simply because you aren’t using all your strength.
And your strength is held also by your God...ask for help in prayer faithfully and always.
No comments:
Post a Comment